Dear All,

Academy of International Business Sub-Saharan Africa Chapter Inaugural Conference

Africa Rising: The Internationalization of African Firms and the Prospects for Western and Eastern Multinationals

     Riara University, Nairobi, Kenya Conference Dates: August 13 - 15, 2014 I Submission Deadline: May 24, 2014

Keynote Speakers:

Prof. Elizabeth L. Rose I  AIB Vice-President I  University of Otago, NZ

Prof. Patricia McDougall  I AIB Vice-President I Indiana University, USA

Prof. Kevin Ibeh I Assistant Dean, Birkbeck I University of London, UK

Prof. Ken N. Kamoche I Director, Africa Research Group I University of Nottingham, UK

Once described as “the hopeless continent”, Africa is now widely regarded as “the next growth frontier”! Western multinationals from countries with strong colonial linkages with Africa, such as the UK, France and Portugal, now find themselves competing not only with multinationals from other developed economies, but also with emerging market multinationals from countries such as China and India. In this so-called “New Scramble for Africa”, Africa-based firms are not left behind, as many firms from South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya and other countries have initiated aggressive regional expansion strategies.

To advance our understanding of these recent developments, the AIB Sub-Saharan Africa Chapter is delighted to announce its inaugural conference, with the theme: “Africa Rising: The Internationalization of African Firms and the Prospects for Western and Eastern Multinationals”. The conference welcomes conceptual and empirical papers, as well as teaching case studies and panels from scholars, doctoral, graduate and undergraduate students, business professionals and policy makers, which contribute to a greater understanding of the internationalization strategies and behaviour of African firms, and how foreign-owned multinationals are (re)positioning themselves to win as competition in the product and talent markets within the region intensifies.

The conference will consider unpublished original competitive papers, interactive papers, panels and teaching cases for the following tracks:

Track 1: The Internationalization of African Firms: Strategies, Patterns and Outcomes

Track 2: Doing Business in Africa: Prospects and Challenges for Foreign Multinationals

Track 3: International Business and Management / General Track

Track 4: Teaching Innovation and Teaching Cases in International Business

Publication Opportunities

The best papers and other outstanding papers that are aligned with the conference theme will be considered and selected for inclusion in a special issue of a reputable journal or an edited book which will be connected to the conference.

 Registration Fees:

AIB Members: US$130.00 (Kshs. 11,050) for early and $180 (Kshs. 15,300) for late registration.

Non-members: US$150.00 (Kshs.12, 500) for early and US$200 (Kshs. 17,000) for late registration.

Students: US$100 (Kshs. 8,500)    I Accompanying Partners: US$100 (Kshs. 8,500)

Networking and Experiential Learning Journey to Nairobi!

Explore Magical Kenya!

For further details, please see attached CFP.

Conference Website: http://www.riarauniversity.ac.ke/aibssa2014conference

Prof. Abel Kinoti, Bcom, MBA, Dcom, FHEA-UK

Dean, School of Business

Riara University

P.O. Box 49940-00100

Nairobi, Kenya