Dear affiliate of the College of Agriculture & Natural Resources,

We are pleased to announce there are spots available in:

MSU Student Organic Farm’s

Summer Harvest CSA

Join Now!

email [log in to unmask]

If you are one who craves a weekly supply of summer’s freshest and most delicious local organic vegetables, while having your food dollars do double duty supporting hands on agriculture education for undergraduates and the training of new farmers then a CSA share with the Student Organic Farm may be perfect for you!

The MSU Student Organic Farm is a 15-acre, certified organic, year-round teaching and production farm. This year, the Student Organic Farm celebrates its 12th year of participating in Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA!  At its core, CSA means having a direct connection to the land and the farmers that produce your food.

As a CSA member, each week you will receive 8-12 produce items from the farm AND the value of:

·         Harvesting from the CSA U-Pick garden, which includes herbs, cherry tomatoes, cut flowers, and leafy greens

·         Receiving delicious vegetable varieties that are difficult to find in stores

·         Connecting with the farm by visiting our animals, fields, and passive solar greenhouses

·         Asking questions to your student farmers about our growing practices and your produce

·         Accessing hard to find local organic items from the farm such as our organic eggs, raspberries, cut flowers, and meats, which will be available for purchase at distribution.

·         Knowing that your food dollars, in addition to supplying yourself with fresh healthy food, directly support the training of the next generation of organic farmers here in Michigan and provide transformational learning opportunities about food and agriculture to MSU students

Here are important details regarding the Summer Harvest CSA, including what you need to do to become a member!

The first CSA distribution will be on Monday, June 9th, and will continue for 20 weeks, ending on October 20th. Weekly distribution happens at the farm every Monday from 4:30 PM to 6:30PM.

The cost of this year’s share will be $740, which breaks down to $37/week. Our share size is intended to feed an average family of four or two voracious vegetable eaters.  For a family of four the per-person cost is less than $1.32/day for the freshest, organic, local produce you can find, all of which is grown by passionate students.

Due to the high demand of our Summer Harvest CSA, available spots on the membership list tend to fill up very quickly. If you desire to secure your position with our CSA, it is recommended you respond as soon as possible. Full payments are greatly encouraged and appreciated, but we do offer a two payment option.  The first payment of $375 along with your signed membership agreement is a nonrefundable deposit that secures your spot.  The 2nd payment of the remaining $360 balance and is to be paid no later than June 1st.  A signed membership agreement and a $375 partial payment or payment in full will secure your spot in this year’s Summer Harvest CSA!! Please respond to [log in to unmask] to express your interest and obtain membership documents!

The amount and diversity of produce that you receive will increase as produce becomes more abundant on the farm throughout the summer.  Here are some produce items that you can look forward to receiving in a typical share throughout the season. Please keep in mind that each week will include a slightly different mix of produce for you to take home! Note: If you happen to enjoy some of these specific vegetables less than others, we will always have a Trade Table set up where members can leave items they don’t want and pick up extra of an item that other members did not want.

 JUNE: carrots, salad mix, kale, collard greens, chard, spinach, scallions, rosemary, oregano, arugula, garlic scapes, peas, radishes, head lettuce

 JULY: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, kohlrabi, beets, chard, collards, scallions, cucumbers, early tomatoes, parsley, zucchini, green beans

AUGUST: eggplant, onions, sweet peppers, green beans, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, chard, lettuce, basil, sweet corn, garlic, napa cabbage, broccoli,  edamame, water melons

SEPTEMBER: melons, beans, garlic, tomatoes, basil, chard, onions, hot peppers, sweet peppers, eggplant, squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, salad mix, celery,  beet greens

OCTOBER: beets, carrots, radishes, peppers, eggplants, scallions, kale, chard, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, salad mix, broccoli, potatoes, leeks, winter squash, rutabaga

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding your opportunity to become a member. I look forward to your response!

Sincerely,

Ellen Murphy

SOF CSA Manager

Phone: 517.230.7987