Distinguished Lecture Seminar

Prof. David Wineland

2012 Nobel Prize in Physics

Date: March 13, 2014

Location: 1410 Biomedical Physical Science Bldg

Time:  8:00pm

Light refreshments will be served in BPS atrium at 7:30pm

Free parking available in Abrams Planetarium parking lot across from BPS Building

Title:  Superposition, Entanglement, and Raising Schrodinger’s Cat

Research on precise control of quantum systems occurs in many laboratories throughout the world, for fundamental research, new measurement techniques, and more recently for quantum information processing. I will briefly describe experiments on quantum state manipulation of atomic ions at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which serve as examples of similar work being performed with many other atomic, molecular, optical (AMO) and condensed matter systems around the world. This talk is in part the “story” of my involvement that I presented at the 2012 Nobel Prize ceremonies.

Kim Crosslan

Dept. Physics and Astronomy

(517) 884-5531