If you're continuing to run XP systems, it would be a good idea to disable
autoplay on them. Users with local admin rights plus a mis-click on an
autorun popup can hose the system really quickly. Microsoft has a FixIt
utilitie to do the job, along with registry and group policy methods:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

Autoplay is a dangerous feature and we disabled it across the board, not
just on XP systems.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:23:36 +0000, Bosman, Don <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Sneaker net and thumb drives will be your attack vectors.
>If a researcher finds it expedient to have data moved faster than you can
accommodate them, they are likely to improvise.
>Keep the anti-virus and anti-malware up to date.
>
>You've probably seen the same tales that I have, about security researchers
leaving spyware infected thumb drives in the parking lots for security
conscious workers to find. And how every one of the drives was plugged in to
see what was on it.

>Don Bosman
>Information Technologist
>MSU Libraries
>366 W. Circle Drive  -  Rm.W441
>East Lansing, MI 48824-1048
>517-884-0873

ongoing experiments, using software that until recently did not work well
under Vista/7, and in any case changing computer configuration in the middle
of a research study could affect the results, so we continue to run them.
But we do not use those computers for browsing the internet, and typically
have the network disabled (even physcially), so I think that makes them
pretty safe even without updates.  As I understand it, most exploits depend
on user behavior anyway, so under some circumstances XP systems will be safe
regardless of updates.  Or am I wrong there?