From: David McFarlane [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Desktop Replacement Policy and XP Mitigation

Probably irrelevant to most here, but...

We have several Windows XP systems used in research labs for running ongoing experiments, using software that until recently did not work well under Vista/7, and in any case changing computer configuration in the middle of a research study could affect the results, so we continue to run them.  But we do not use those computers for browsing the internet, and typically have the network disabled (even physcially), so I think that makes them pretty safe even without updates.  As I understand it, most exploits depend on user behavior anyway, so under some circumstances XP systems will be safe regardless of updates.  Or am I wrong there?

-- dkm