On 03/20/14 12:41, Cooke, Tony wrote:
>> most exploits depend on user behavior anyway
> I disagree with this. Tossing probabilities / statistics out the window, there are plenty of remotely exploitable vulnerabilities. Check out Metasploit if you're curious.
>
>> Sneaker net and thumb drives will be your attack vectors
> This gave me pause. Let's say we're not connected to *any* network, and a machine is compromised via removable storage. Barring destruction of data (also important), what could said compromise accomplish?
>
>> they are likely to improvise
> ...by plugging the network cable back in. Now you're sunk. Get the epoxy out.
>
> -Tony

What could happen to a disconnected machine that got a virus?

Lots.

Three times now I have seen controller type Windows 2000 and XP machines
infected by USB sticks, and all three were trashed in terms of what they
were supposed to do.  The one I remember best was a CNC type controller
that worked but every hour or so, but the mill tool would go crazy and gash
the part, costing at least $1K

A virus on a disconnected machine can't do net stuff, but it sure can mess
it up in general.

--STeve Andre'