[cid:[log in to unmask]]                                                                      [cid:[log in to unmask]]
FINT Goes to Coventry - City of Peace!
4-7 November 2014

Call for Papers
The 8th FINT Workshop on Trust Within and Between Organizations
First International Network on Trust
Coventry University, UK

The issues of trust, whether concerning intra- or inter-organizational relationships, have gained increasing significance for scholars of organizations and for practitioners over the last two decades. By establishing a forum for trust scholars from different countries and disciplines, FINT workshops have played an important role in the development of an international research program on 'Trust Within and Between Organizations.' Each of the previous workshops, commencing in 2001, has succeeded in bringing together scholars from over 20 countries and from a wide range of disciplines including economics, marketing, work and organizational psychology, sociology of organizations, political sciences, information sciences, and linguistics. Our 2014 workshop is extended to include pre-workshops for PhD and early careers and is deliberately organized in Coventry to coincide with the City's Peace Festival. It is hoped that the Festival and the workshop will attract researchers and practitioners involved in peace and social relations to enhance understanding and exchange of those involved in trust from different perspectives.

CALL FOR PAPERS

Trust is a complex concept and concerned with shared human experience that transcends disciplinary, cultural, and generational boundaries. In the aftermath of the global financial crisis and other scandals, including banking and food, but also in civil conflicts and social tensions, it is clear that trust is central to every human relationship whether with another individual, a group, or an institution. These scandals and conflicts highlight hidden and unforeseen vulnerabilities, the interconnectedness of individuals and organizations, and dependences on the judgement of anonymous others. Such events renew our interest in topics such as transparency, control and regulation, and in the balance of power between individuals, organizations and governments. Although research has sought to identify the benefits of trust, whether in promoting enhanced co-operation and commitment, or in raising performance and job satisfaction, further work still remains to make the case for trust. More recently conceptual work has highlighted the dark side of trust, revealing the ways it can be exploited and manipulated by others. There has also been more detailed attention given to examining trust and distrust, and trust and justice, highlighting their distinctions and differences.
Despite significant advances over the last decade in trust research, our understanding remains limited with much still to be explained. Important questions remain about how trust is different in its antecedents and consequences, and particularly in understanding the dynamics and processes behind its creation, maintenance, and restoration across a multiplicity of important contexts and in key relationships. This 8th FINT workshop seeks to provide a forum in which our trust knowledge can be shared and extended with the aid of our inspiring community.

We welcome both junior and senior contributors and representatives of the academic and practitioner communities from a wide range of academic disciplines, using qualitative and quantitative methods, with empirical and theoretical insights to offer. Hence our call for papers is deliberately broad. We are open for all research questions pertaining to current trust research and invite the submission of proposals for individual papers. We will consider papers in two categories, namely 'first cut papers' in development and conference papers near to publication.
In addition we have a PhD and early career pre-workshop deliberately designed to develop skills and networks in the next generation of scholars. This event includes inputs from Nicole Gillespie, Martin Kilduff, Roger Mayer, Ann-Marie Nienaber, Mark Saunders, Denise Skinner and Sim Sitkin.

We would also like to open a forum for papers that address a hitherto less studied area: context theories about trust. Bamberger (2008, AMJ) argued that management theory could be advanced by moving from simply identifying the context within which a distinct phenomenon is analysed to developing theories that incorporate differences in the phenomenon across contexts. Such a context could be different regulatory frameworks, national cultures, or different institutions, but also different vulnerabilities of stakeholders seeking to trust a corporation. Possible research issues and questions involve: (1) the current and future state of trust and trusting;(2) the role that trust plays in the context of community, intercultural dialogue, peace and reconciliation; (3) how trust is being used and integrated in organizations in the context of the trust repair agenda; (4) the relationship between trust and sustainability, (5) trust and organizational metrics.

Format and Submission

We invite you to contribute a short paper for competitive selection. Your short paper should explain the relevance of the chosen topic, provide the theoretical background and research question, and explicate the approach followed. Empirical papers should describe the methods of analysis and highlight (or at least preview) their main findings and contributions.

Papers should represent work that has not already been published, accepted for publication, or presented at previous FINT-related conferences.. It should be submitted in MS Word, double-spaced 12pt Times New Roman font, with numbered pages. To facilitate double-blind review, the title page should exclude author names or any other identifying information. However please make sure that you provide the details of authorship in your mail. Any submission should be no longer than 3000 words (including title, abstract, figures, references etc.). All submissions will be double-blind peer-reviewed.
Submission are also invited for the pre-workshop event. Full details of both events and how to submit, can be found by visiting:
http://www.eiasm.org/frontoffice/event_announcement.asp?event_id=1043#3803

Deadline for both submissions is 19 May 2014, 23:59h, GMT.

About FINT

The First International Network on Trust (FINT) aims to further international cooperation in trust research via conferences, workshops, regular newsletters, and various other activities. FINT members have organized numerous tracks on trust at EURAM, EGOS, and Academy of Management conferences. FINT actively aims to further publications on trust, preferably co-authored by scholars from different countries. Workshop and track papers have been brought together in special issues of Personnel Review (2003, vol 32, 5), Journal of Managerial Psychology (2004, vol 19, 6) and Strategic Change (2005), an edited volume on 'Trust under pressure (published by Edward Elgar) and special issues on 'Trust and control' of International Sociology (2005) and Group and Organization Management (2007). Recent book publications are Trust and Human Resources Management, the Handbook of Research Methods on Trust (both published by Edward Elgar) and Organizational Trust - A Cultural Perspective, a volume published by Cambridge University Press. FINT members have also contributed actively to the creation of the Journal of Trust Research. More info on FINT can be found at www.fintweb.org<http://www.fintweb.org> and also on FINT's Linked-In Group site, http://www.linkedin.com/groups/FINT-First-International-Network-Trust-4824312?home=&gid=4824312&trk=anet_ug_hm.<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/FINT-First-International-Network-Trust-4824312?home=&gid=4824312&trk=anet_ug_hm.%0dFor>
For<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/FINT-First-International-Network-Trust-4824312?home=&gid=4824312&trk=anet_ug_hm.%0dFor> membership, mail to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]Coventry University
Coventry University is a forward-looking, modern university with a proud tradition as a provider of high quality education and a focus on applied research. Our achievements as a University have led to us being ranked as no 1 Modern University in the UK in the recent Guardian University Guide league table for 2014, and to impressive individual subject rankings for courses across the Faculty of Business, Environment and Society. We were also recently named as 'Entrepreneurial University of the Year' at the Times Higher Education Awards. With a centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations we undertake research and engage with communities and organizations for whom trust and its restoration are key objectives. The workshop deliberately comes to the city, which is the UK's 9th largest, during  the City's annual Peace Festival. Our keynote speakers include a public lecture for this festival delivered by George Hamilton, Asst. Chief Constable of the Police Service of N. Ireland, and Prof. Roger Mayer from North Carolina State University.

Coventry is famous for its three spired Cathedral and a legacy of ribbon industry, watchmaking, motor manufacturing ,and innovative technologies. Surrounded by breathtaking Warwickshire countryside, Coventry's city centre provides a perfect contrast to the rural suburbs, and our post workshop includes a visit to the Royal Shakespeare Company. With free attractions such as the famous Coventry Transport Museum, Herbert Art Gallery and Museum and Priory Undercrofts, the city has much to offer. A visit wouldn't be complete without entering the Medieval ruins of Coventry Cathedral, discovering a wealth of exciting history for all ages, and to appreciate how this City has embraced trust as a means of leading reconciliation across the world. Indeed, rather than sweeping away the ruins or rebuilding a replica of the former church, inspired by the message of Christ for reconciliation, the then leaders of the Cathedral Community took the courageous step to build a new Cathedral and preserve the remains of the old Cathedral as a moving reminder of the folly and waste of war. From that point, Coventry Cathedral became the inspiration for a ministry of peace and reconciliation that has reached out across the entire world.

Organizer and Contact Information

Please direct any questions to any of the committee members below:

Programme Committee
Cecily Cooper, University of Miami, USA - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Rosalind Searle, Coventry University - Rosalind.Searle @coventry.ac.uk
Antoinette Weibel, University of St. Gallen - [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Local Arrangements Committee
Rosalind.Searle @coventry.ac.uk
Ann Marie.Nienaber @coventry.ac.uk (for phd & early career workshop)
Joanne.Simpson @coventry.ac.uk

Rosalind H. Searle Ph.D.
Professor of Organizational Behaviour and Psychology
Co-Director The Centre for Trust, Peave and Social Relations
Coventry University
Priory Rd.
Coventry
UK