Hello! I'm sending this email on behalf of a friend. Sorry for bothering
those who are not interested.

Dear all,

My name is Yu-Shiang. I am a doctoral student in Language, Literacy, and
Culture in School of Education at University of Michigan. I am at the stage
of writing my dissertation proposal. I am currently trying to recruit
participants for my dissertation research.

My provisional plan for my dissertation is to analyze written academic
discourse. My research (qualitative discourse analysis) investigates how L2
graduate students in the social sciences (e.g., Education, Second Language
Studies, and etc.) position themselves when constructing arguments in
academic writing. My brief search criteria are as follows.

(1) Graduate students (master's or doctoral students)

(2) Mandarin Chinese is the first language and English is the second
language

(3) Social sciences major (e.g., Education, Second Language Studies)

(4) One unpublished research paper written by them (either qualitative or
quantitative empirical research paper).

NB:

(1)  Their research paper is not immediately needed. Research papers would be
needed after summer 2014.

(2)  Research syntheses (i.e. stand-alone literature reviews) are not
considered in the search criteria at this time.

I completely understand the privacy issue concerned here. As IRB is
regulated to be written at the institution of the investigator (i.e.
University of Michigan), I will write an IRB (Please refer to
http://www.irb.umich.edu) before I conduct my study. In fact, all research
projects conducted at U of M have to be approved by IRB. In addition, in
2012, I earned the Human Subjects Protection Training Certificate issued by
the U of M.

In this approved research project (to be approved), all participants'
personal and research data will not be released in any form. Participants
will be mentioned in my paper under aliases. Moreover, the content,
original research ideas, data, and personal identity in participants'
research papers will be fully protected and will not be released to anyone
else. Please rest assured that your participation will by no means be
revealed to others.

I would be very much grateful if you are willing to participate in my
study. I would appreciate it if you could kindly reply to me so that I
could further explain my research plan to you. Thank you.

Much obliged,

Yu-Shiang

734-272-6042