I had a chat with Matt this morning regarding VPN.

IT Services staff was actively monitoring VPN connections during the Campus closure last week. Two out of five connections from the MSUNet Realm did not have an MSU IP address assigned.  At this time MSUNet Realm users need to manually launch the Juniper NetConnect client from the VPN screen after login in order to launch the routing tunnel and receive a VPN IP address lease.  Some MSU staff do not want the NetConnect client to auto-start, so this is why we have this extra step.  Auto-launch is enabled for most IDs in the CampusAD realm.

This is the first time in a while where we have had a high demand for the Campus VPN, and a review of the procedures is probably needed. The following link should direct you to the location in the (lengthy) Techbase article detailing the steps needed to connect to the MSU VPN offering.

http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=8068&service=#s80032

Also, while we did not hit our concurrent connection limit nor run out of IP addresses last week, we have had discussions regarding expanding the IP lease range in the near future. We’ll also discuss the pros/cons of NetConnect auto-launch to simplify connectivity for a vast majority of our staff.

Thomas Porter, CISSP

IT Services – Network Management

450 Auditorium Rd. Rm. 301

Michigan State University