Theme Session on Place and Culture at the Joint Cordilleran/Rocky Mountain GSA Section Meeting

Esteemed Colleagues (sorry for possible duplicate mailings),
We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to a theme session on Teaching Geoscience in the Context of Place and Culture organized for the upcoming Joint Meeting of the Cordilleran and Rocky Mountain Sections of the Geological Society of America, in Bozeman, Montana, 19-21 May 2014.
The session description is as follows:
T28. Teaching Geoscience in the Context of Place and Culture for Sustainability and Diversity.
Our senses of place and cultural perspectives influence—and provide relevant context and meaning for—the ways that we teach about geoscience. Place-based and culturally informed geoscience teaching is that which intentionally leverages the diverse meanings people make in geologically illustrative places, the attachments students and instructors affix to such places, and the cultural knowledge of groups that reside in these places (whether indigenous, historically resident, or recent arrivals). These methods, applied in formal or free-choice learning contexts, are advocated to better engage underrepresented minority students, enrich the senses of place of all learners, and to promote environmental and cultural sustainability in places and regions. This session welcomes presentations that highlight current practices, theoretical models, and authentic assessment of place-based and culturally informed geoscience teaching.
The abstract deadline is Tuesday, 11 February 2014.
The meeting website is http://www.geosociety.org/sections/rm/2014mtg/index.htm

Feel free to email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Steve Semken & Dave Mogk, Co-conveners

Steven Semken, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geology and Geoscience Education | School of Earth and Space Exploration
Senior Sustainabiity Scientist | Global Institute of Sustainability
Arizona State University
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 480-965-7965
PO Box 871404 | Tempe AZ 85287-1404
http://semken.asu.edu
http://sese.asu.edu