Hey folks. I got this simultaneously from a colleague and NSF. I thought some of you might be interested.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Vasaly, Helen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NSF Dear Colleague Letter 14-033
Date: January 23, 2014 5:08:43 PM EST

Dear STEM Education and Research Colleague(s):

The attached Dear Colleague Letter on the topic of “Preparing Applications to Participate in Phase I Ideas Labs on Undergraduate STEM Education” [NSF 14-033] has been cleared by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and is in the process of being posted on the NSF web site for general availability.

The opportunity to participate in one of three Ideas Labs to address grand challenges related to workforce development in the biological sciences, the geological sciences, and engineering was first announced in the “Improving Undergraduate STEM Education” (IUSE) program description [PD 14-7513].  The attached Dear Colleague Letter provides additional guidance on the specific themes of the three Ideas Labs and the process for applying to participate.  Given the interdisciplinary themes involved and the innovative nature of the Ideas Lab process, we anticipate interest from a diverse range of communities, both in terms of STEM education and research disciplinary expertise, employment sector, and academic institution type.

Applications to participate in one of the Ideas Labs should be submitted close to the IUSE target date of February 4, 2014.  Given the late notice to the community, we would appreciate your assistance in widely sharing this Dear Colleague Letter with your colleagues and/or your organization’s member communities who may have relevant interests.   Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.

Connie Della-Piana

Connie Kubo Della-Piana, PhD.
Program Director
Division of Undergraduate Education