Dear Colleagues,

I recall asking, not too long ago, the difference between frontier markets and emerging markets - notably the BRICS countries. I was also wondering how to classify the Middle East economies (especially the UAE and Qatar) within this framework. While still in my pensive mood, Jim O'Neill does it again - from coining BRIC to doing same for MINT.

Interestingly I have only recently tasked my MBA students to analyze the future of the Nigerian Movie industry drawing upon business strategy concepts such as the "Film Value Chain," first-mover vs late entrant strategies and advantages (i.e. Hollywood vs Nollywood); and/ or the prospective and challenges of forging strategic alliances in the movie industry. Please see:

In any case I would welcome your comments are most welcome on the excerpts below:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Former Goldman Sachs economist Jim O'Neill is the one who popularized the term "BRICs" in reference to the group of emerging-market economies made up of Brazil, Russia, India, and China.
This year, however, the fortunes of those economies have taken a turn for the worse for various reasons, and many investors are abandoning the idea that they will be able to continue the rapid growth that has characterized the past several years.
Much investor attention has therefore shifted from emerging markets to "frontier markets," a classification made up of economies smaller than those of the BRICs.
According to him "Four of the world’s most populous non-BRIC emerging economies. The BRIC countries -- Brazil, Russia, India and China -- are already closely watched -- let’s call them the MINT economies -- deserve no less attention. Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey all have very favorable demographics for at least the next 20 years, and their economic prospects are interesting."
Regards,
Nnamdi