We do have a maximum number of recipients within a timeframe.  It is one of our defenses when someone has compromised their credentials and the account gets used for spam.   There is an error message that should be generated when the limit is exceeded, per: http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=10902#s79659

We were asked to keep details to a minimum. I believe this is to encourage the use of proper bulk mail tools for MSU purposes and to avoid abuse from outside parties (spammers using compromised credentials).

Leo Sell
IT Services Support
Michigan State University
517-432-6200