Which in turn leads to
https://itservices.msu.edu/guidelines-policies/bulk-email.html ,
which I suppose is the end of the trail here.  The only "tool" I find
mentioned there is listservs, the rest is all just, well, guidelines
& policies for using bulk e-mail (though I will admit I did not read
this carefully, because I do not have to deal with this problem
myself).  I think our own department uses listservs for bulk e-mail,
don't know if that will help with John Resotko's issue.

Thanks,
-- dkm