WIR

Dear Members of the World Investment Network (WIN),

I am pleased to share with you the 10th issue of our Joint UNCTAD-OECD Report on G20 Investment Measures. During this reporting period, G20 members, for the most part, honored their pledge not to introduce new restrictive policies for international investment. Most of the policy changes tended to eliminate investment restrictions and to facilitate inward or outward investment.

The 10th Joint Report builds on the findings of UNCTAD's 13th Global Investment Trends Monitor (GTM) and notes that in the first half of 2013, global foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows rose to USD 745 billion - an increase by 4 per cent compared to the first half of 2012.

During the mid-May 2013 to mid-November 2013 reporting period, twelve G20 members took some sort of investment-specific or investment-related measures or concluded international investment agreements (IIAs).
·        Six G20 members - Brazil, Canada, China, India, the Republic of Korea and Mexico - amended their investment-specific policies during the reporting period.
·        One G20 member - Germany - amended its investment policies related to national security.
·        Five G20 members - Canada, China, Japan, Turkey and the United States - concluded four bilateral investment treaties (BITs) and four other international investment agreements ("other IIAs").

This overall favourable picture of foreign investment policies of G20 countries is confirmed when one looks back at overall investment policy development since the Washington G20 Summit in November 2008, which was the starting point for the joint UNCTAD-OECD G20 Reports.

Following the call by G20 Leaders at their St. Petersburg Summit, 5-6 September 2013, both UNCTAD and the OECD remain committed to reinforcing and deepening their work towards enhancing investment policies through monitoring and policy development. On the UNCTAD side, the monitoring for G20 countries is complemented, among others, by UNCTAD's Investment Policy Monitor (IPM), a quarterly online publication which provides country-specific information about the latest developments in foreign investment policies, both at the national and international level, for countries all around the globe.

I hope that you find this information interesting and would welcome any comments you may have.

Let me invite you to also visit our Investment Policy Hub, and circulate this information to your networks.

With best regards,

James Zhan
Director
Investment & Enterprise Division
United Nations Conference on Trade & Development
www.unctad.org/diae

Be part of the new generation of investment policy-making. Join us here!http://ipfsd.unctad.org/
Follow us on Twitter @unctadwif