We at John Molson School of Business of Concordia University, Montreal, would like to expand our portfolio of business schools with which we have student exchange programs. Like most other universities, some of our students choose to study abroad for a semester at a partner institution. While very useful, this program is limited to students who demonstrate potential for handling uncertainties of managing life on a foreign campus. Our approach has been to set a cut-off point for GPA with the expectation that such students will at least not have difficulties on the academic front of their semester abroad, leaving them more time to manage other issues.

We would now like to expand this program to include many more students. We would like to pursue the possibility of a “revenue neutral” model that would have (some variation of) the following structure. We will take about 20 of our students to a host business school for a whole semester. They will be joined by about an equal number of host school students. Together, this group will be offered four courses – two by the host school faculty and two by our faculty. At least one of the host institution’s courses will have to be on some aspect of business environment of the country of the host institution. Our students will be exposed to foreign faculty members and will have an experience of living abroad for a semester. Host institution students will have the experience of being exposed to our style of teaching. All the students will have an opportunity to work with students from the other country. The host institution will help our students and faculty find accommodation for the duration of their stay (could be a dormitory) but we pay our costs. In a subsequent semester, the process could be reversed – students and faculty from what was the host institution could visit us. Alternatively, the host institution could send a smaller number of its students to us for a whole semester (as is done in the current model of individual student going abroad for a semester).

Currently, we wish to focus on finding some partners in Latin America, especially Brazil, Chile or Mexico; Central and Eastern Europe, India, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Morocco and South Africa.

I would love to hear from interested colleagues.

Best wishes,

Arvind K. Jain

Professor, International Finance and Banking

Director, International Business Studies

John Molson School of Business

Concordia University

1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W.

Montreal, Qc, Canada H3G 1M8