It probably depends on the software somewhat.  With Adobe stuff, there
seems to be some provisions for home use of the software based on the
computer store website:
http://www.cstore.msu.edu/manufacturers/manufacturerinfo.asp?mfg=Adobe&PriceListCategory=S

I'd guess Rachel at the computer store would know the answer for a lot
of the software though.  I know there's a number of things there that
do specifically say that they're for use on departmental machines
only.