I had some space issues with a 2008 machine with a 32 GB system partition (and who wouldn’t have space issues with that).  With that OS, I could use COMPCLN, but 2008 R2 doesn’t have that.  I might have to read up on DISM, but I’ve been told that running disk cleanup elevated will show system components that can be cleaned by that command anyway.

That said, I’m looking at a production 2008 R2 Web Server with a SxS folder size of 14.8 GB.  I’m thinking you’re not too far off from the norm.  Also, if you’re using a disk space viewer that isn’t aware of how NTFS hard links work, the SxS folder will be double counted when viewing from the Windows directory.  For example, that web server shows the Windows folder as 23.5 GB even though a healthy portion of that is hard linked copies.  I would estimate that it’s really about 17 GB being stored under the Windows directory.

You’d best look elsewhere when looking for space to clear out.  The SxS folder is strictly off limits as a target for pruning manually for good reason.  That folder is the main reason you’ll never have to hunt down the install media when adding roles and features.  It’s all there, whether in use or not.

I’ve had good luck hunting down patch logs in C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp as well as any users’ AppData\Local\Temp folders.  I’ve seen multiple logs around 30 MB each.  Those can add up after a while (especially after a couple of years).  If you’re running Java on the server, you’ll also want to look for users’ AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java folders, since Java doesn’t like to clean up after itself.  Those add up if you’ve got a rigorous Java patch schedule (hint: not using Java is easier).

From: Jesse Howard [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] winsxs management

I have a Server 2088 R2 SP1 file server that has winsxs problems. On a 60 GB C: partition, winsxs takes up over 15 GB. I understand what winsxs is for. Other than applying dism.exe, which recovered about a gig and a half, is there anything else I can do to keep winsxs from taking over the C: partition?

Thanks,

Jesse Howard

IT Administrator
Michigan State University Press