That was true years ago, with far smaller disks.  I have read the data
from the control electronics, and you cannot get consistently readable
data from 1G+ disks.  The old tricks of using nickel power in naphtha
and so on for the disks of olden days, where you could get data no
longer work.

Writing three times on modern disks has a feel-good factor.  The
dod 5220.22 (dash M?) states specific things to do to erase a disk, but
I know of no disk people today who say you need to do that.

Disk technology has utterly changed in the last 15 years but the regs
for wiping them haven't.

You are right that physical destruction is best!  They make for great
targets, too.

--STeve Andre'