Just as an interesting side note to this whole OS conversation, if you’re just looking to save money on ordering DELL machines, the best way that I’ve found is to use the Dell Outlet (outlet.dell.com)

You can still add Pro Warranty with Accidental damage coverage on anything that you buy through the outlet, but the overall cost of the machines is greatly reduced from their initial price point. Generally on a laptop you will save ~$300-$400 off the same machine purchased through MSU’s discounted price.

The one caveat to ordering through the outlet is that you cannot quote things, you must use a PCARD or some form of a credit card as the items change frequently.

But if you’re buying 1 – 5 laptops at a time it’s a pretty substantial savings. I’ve done it with desktops as well, but the last ones I quoted out from Dell’s main page were $490 so I can’t see them being as big of a savings.

Imo.