I have gotten so many mixed signals on this that I have given up
and helped people build their own computers, from Newegg.  Except
for laptops, it's been working.

Lenovo claims to have Linux based Thinkpads, but twice now, they
denied their existence.  They have also denied selling TP's without
disks, but I know someone who got 12 of them that way.

So buying computers without the MS tax is hard.  You might be
able to go to a local computer store and get an OS free machine
but beware that some stores automatically roll Windows into the
price.

I'm all ears for new sources.

--STeve Andre'