I've notice over the last several weeks a number of periods of time
where MSU's system has been tempfailing incoming email, generally with
messages about too many simultaneous smtp connections.  We've got a
number of systems that send mail to people in our departments, and
I've seen times when the queue to send those emails builds up while
those issues happen.  My guess is the retry limit exceeded are for
those that get particularly bad luck with when the attempts come in
such that they hit a number of attempts with this tempfail.

I've been meaning to contact it services when I next saw this problem
because I had a number of people in my department wondering what was
going on, but of course, I haven't actually seen the problem since
then :).