Dear all,

Please find below a list of responses I received on my inquiry on innovative methods of teaching strategic management.

Best,

Ulf

------------

You could include simulation here.  I use CAPSIM.

Charles Fenner, PhD SUNY - Canton 34 Cornell Drive Canton, NY 13617

------------

You might find it useful to start with a movie. I use 7-Samurai but there are other strategy decision classics. Best, Bill Rapp

------------

Hello,

Have you tried with starting a strategic management course with the 1 page long Robin Hood case study?
students know the story well as a tale, but the strategic interpretations it allows for long exceed their expectations. Contact me if you like the idea.

Best,

Alex Rialp

------------

Hi,

You may look at  http://ssrn.com/abstract=2146208

Bests,

Igor Gurkov

------------

Dear Ulf:

Are you familiar with Educause? http://www.educause.edu/eli/publications?filters=sm_cck_field_super_facet%3A%22EDUCAUSE%20Library%20Items%22%20tid%3A33152%20tid%3A33438

And isn't innovation a personal transformation? I bet they would give you a hefty discount on this one?

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/pgcei/pgcei-introduction.aspx

Best regards,

Daniel J. Costello

------------

Ulf,

I have found one of the best intros is to run the 'Winter Survival Exercise' by Joshi, Davis, Kathuria and Weidner in Jo Mang Ed 2005: 29:672.  You can take the exercise into a number of directions. I especially emphasize the nature of strategic decisions and the strategic decision process.

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart Napshin, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Kennesaw State University
Coles College of Business

610-220-4741 c
678-797-2676 o

------------

I don't have experience in this course, but I think you can use case method to ask students to provide solutions as decision-maker and compare with what companies actually do and the actual result. It is a good way for students to participate, to become innovative thinker and ethical decision makers, especially for Chinese students who are normally passive in the learning process.

It's just my thought and hope it helpful in someway. :)

Betty

Betty Feng

2CI Fellow - Chinese Studies

Doctoral Candidate

Marketing & International Business

J.Mack Robinson College of Business

Georgia State University

http://bettyfeng.us/

------------

Hi Ulf

If you would be willing to share, I would like to see your responses as I have the same inquiry. Enjoy your summer!

Thank you and kind regards.

Charla

Dr. Charla Brown

Assistant Professor of Management

Gore School of Business

Westminster College

Slat Lake City, UT

------------

Dear Ulf,

How are you?  I have been using a business simulation from a company called Glo-Bus (affiliated with McGraw-Hill), which has two kinds of business simulations.  One involves selling cameras made in Taiwan, and the other shoes from multiple manufacturing spots.  I've been using the former.  There is an option for a related text book.  My students have found it to be fun and challenging.  If you are interested, go to www.glo-bus.com and take a look.

Best,

John

------------

Dear Ulf,

I have been teaching Strategic Management for many years. This past semester I tried something very innovative and the students absolutely loved it. In fact, I won the Innovation award in teaching at my school (Providence College). It's called "Enter-the-Boardroom"

where students build their own cases based on real time current company strategic issues found in 10k and Value Line reports. I  developed a whole system which, if you are interested, I can share with you. I developed this system further after publishing my book this past December. Check out my book on Amazon "Business Models and Strategic Management: A new Integration". You can see the entire Module 1 for free and the Enter-the-Boardroom scenarios at the end of the module. Let me know and I can share the entire system with you.

Best,

Dr Francine Newth

Associate Professor of Strategy and Management

------------

Dr. Richer,

Have you considered a business simulation?

A capstone course should pull all of the learning of your students together.  I find the simulations quite useful in this respect.

Over the years I have used a number of different simulations.  Currently I am using interpretive software products.  http://www.interpretive.com/rd6/index.php

Warmly
Stephen

------------

Dear Ulf,

When you have got the suggestions about the strategic management course, could you please share them with me?

Many thanks.

Vesna

Dr Vesna Sedoglavich
Research School of Management
ANU College of Business & Economics
Copland Building 26
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
T: +61 2 6125 8989

F: +61 2 6125 8796
W:
http://cbe.anu.edu.au

------------

Ulf:

What, in your mind, defines the boundaries of  innovative?

Peter

Peter Smith Ring, Ph.D.

Professor of Strategic Management

Department of Management

College of Business Administration

Loyola Marymount University

1 LMU Drive MS 8385

Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659

USA

1-310-338-7411 voice and voice mail

1-310-338-3000 (FAX)

------------

Hi Ulf,

I have been teaching an undergraduate strategy class at LeBow College of Business, Drexel University for last three years. I found students really learn a lot when  they conduct a live case analysis. Please see the  syllabus (attached).

I typically bring an industry expert to challenge the students.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any question.

Mazhar

------------

Dear Ulf,

My suggestion is that you have your students take part in an Internet-based game that I administer. It will include students from different countries. You can find out about the game (GEO) through my web site, as given below. It’s free, and I take care of administration.

Best,

Precha

---

Precha Thavikulwat, Ph.D.
Professor of Management

Business Section Editor, Simulation & Gaming

Department of Management

Towson University

Towson, MD 21252-0001

U.S.A.

t. 410-704-3230

f. 410-704-3236

Skype: pthavikulwat

http://pages.towson.edu/precha

------------

Ulf,

I am forwarding your e-mail to Dr. Anne Hoel. She is an Associate Professor of Management at my university. Dr. Hoel has been teaching a 4th year undergraduate capstone curse in Strategic Management for 12 years. I highly recommend Dr. Hoel’s approach to the course. I will leave it up to you and her to try to connect. Her e-mail address is [log in to unmask].

I took this course as an undergraduate in the early 1990s under a different professor and it was a great lead in for my MBA.

Best Regards,

Mark

Dr. Mark Fenton

Associate Professor of International Business and Management

Business Administration Program Director

An ACBSP Accredited Program
UW-Stout College of Management: Business Department

232 Jarvis Hall Techology Wing

Menomonie, WI 54751

p. 715-232-5268 f. 715-232-5004

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Home Page: http://www.uwstout.edu/faculty/fentonm/

Dr. Ulf Henning Richter

Assistant Professor of Strategy

Nottingham University Business School China

Office: AB 356

199 Taikang East Road

Ningbo, Zhejiang, China 315100

Tel:    +86 574 88186342

Mob: +86 1886785 9353

Fax:   +86 574 88180188

http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/business/

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China. This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China may be monitored as permitted by UK and Chinese legislation. ____