*Please Share Widely!*

[image: Inline image 1]

Have you shopped at a farmers’ market lately?
Noticed more local produce at your local grocery store or restaurant?
On your child’s lunch tray at school?

*Wherever there’s local food, there are farmers feeding communities and
creating jobs. *
It’s a win-win for farmers and for people like us.  But we’ve got so far to
go – and this week we have a chance to take a huge stride forward for a
better future for our nation’s food & farms.

*WHAT’S HAPPENING?*
The Senate is debating the 2013 Farm Bill right now.  The bill plays a huge
role in helping communities and farmers work together to strengthen local
economies and ensure everyone has access to fresh, healthy food.

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) has just introduced a critical amendment that
will have a transformative impact on our food and farm system – and we need
your help to make it part of the 2013 Farm Bill!

*WHAT’S AT STAKE?*
This amendment increases funding for critical programs that directly help
farmers and communities put solutions into action on the ground – including
Community Food Projects, the Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion
Program, the Value-Added Producer Grants Program, and the Senior Farmers
Market Nutrition Program.

These programs make it possible for...

   - Low-income seniors to access fresh, healthy produce from local
   farmers.
   - Farmers to expand their operations into new products – like freezing
   fresh veggies for schools to use during winter months.
   - Communities to build their own food solutions from the ground up –
   like urban farms, mobile groceries, and youth-led healthy eating programs.

*WHAT CAN I DO?*
*Got five minutes? * We need your help! Among the hundreds of amendments
the Senate will debate in the coming days, this one stands out – it’s got
the potential to make a real difference on the ground and in the lives of
farmers and communities.

*We need YOU to call Senator Levin today! **(202) 224-6221*
A call is best, but you can instead email Senator Levin
here<https://www.levin.senate.gov/contact/email/>

Calling is easy – just dial the numbers above and leave a message like this
one below with the person who answers the phone:

“Hello, my name is ___ and I’m a constituent and a voter (*and tell ‘em if
you’re a farmer*!).  I would like to leave a message for Senator Levin’s
agriculture staffer.  Can you take a message for me, please?  The message
is:  I urge the Senator to support Senator Brown’s local food and market
development amendment, #1088, during floor debate this week.  This
amendment is critical to building a better future for food and farms in our
state.  Thank you.”

We won’t get a better farm bill without your help. But with it, we will get
a better future for our nation’s food and farms –Make that quick call right
now – and help us spread the word!

Thanks for your consideration of this issue and for all you do for Michigan
communities!

*We'll be sure to send updates as things change quickly, but here are some
resources to stay updated:*
When you call, tell us how it went!

Need a little refresher on the sometimes-confusing Farm Bill process?
Check out our handy
infographic!<http://sustainableagriculture.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013-fb-process-graphic-v2.jpg>

Want to get a better idea of what each amendment is about?
Check out the Farm Bill Amendment Tracker - Updated
Daily!<http://sustainableagriculture.net/farm-bill-amendment-tracker/>

Looking for a bit more information on amendments?
Check out our rundown of what’s at stake. <http://bit.ly/2013FullSenate>
*
*
*
*
*
*
Best wishes,
*Lindsey Scalera*
*Michigan Voices for Good Food Policy*
Grassroots Organizer
(734) 365-6932

http://migoodfoodpolicy.wordpress.com

Follow us on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/michiganvoices>!  Like us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/migoodfood>!

*Sign Up for Action Alerts*

*National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition*

http://www.sustianableagriculture.net<http://www.sustainableagriculture.net/>

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html