From: Academy of International Business List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tunga Kiyak
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [AIB-L] Griffin & Pustay

Dear Nnamdi,

Your questions were intriguing so I had to put aside my work and investigate, since as you mentioned Griffin and Pustay is one of the more established textbooks in the market.

So, here are a few clarifications to assist your students:

1)      I don't know how the Global Edition was printed, but in the US Edition, there is a direct reference to the Ronen and Shenkar (1985) article, right below the map. So, I think, if there is an error there, it was a printing error by the publisher and not an intended omission by the authors.  This is not surprising, since in textbook publishing these days, copyright and permissions are quite carefully monitored, so I would have found it hard to believe that something like that could have sneaked through, especially in an established textbook.

2)      One of the things I always teach my students is that, if there is something they question in a book or article, to always seek out the original citation and look at the original work to see if the peculiarities have been addressed.  So, I went and looked at the Ronen and Shenkar article, which actually reviews  several other articles to put together the clusters.  Specifically, the "Arab" cluster comes from Badawy 1979 which is an Academy of Management Conference Proceedings article.  I did manage to download that article as well and the data comes from a survey of Middle Eastern executives that were attending an executive development program in 1978.

So, that partially explains a few things:
(a) Qatar was omitted because there were probably no executives from Qatar at the executive development program where the survey was conducted. In addition, if you look at that map, it's not a comprehensive analysis. Only 47 countries are marked on the map, which means over 150 countries are missing from the analysis, in addition to Qatar. So there is no conspiracy to exclude Qatar.

(b) The original 1979 article also includes both Abu Dhabi and United Arab Emirates on the list.  I'm going to assume these were self-reported by the managers that were surveyed. I'm not an expert in UAE history, but I know that the emirates joined together in 1971 so it would not be surprising that some managers still felt a stronger affiliation with Abu Dhabi than with the UAE only eight years later.  The author of the original study could have corrected this, but probably chose to report it exactly as the managers did.

So, I don't think there is any huge error or mistake in the map.  But, I would question the utility of using that map in an 2013 book, when the map was first published in 1985, and most of the analysis was done back in the late 1970s.  Surely there has been much more insightful research published in IB literature in the 30 years since that article that could have be of higher benefit to the students.

Best Regards,

Tunga
---
Tunga Kiyak