All:

I thought some of you might be interested in a Foundations of Science MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) designed for the general public and budding science majors. The MOOC focuses specifically on critical thinking in the context of different sciences and uses pseudoscience as an interest hook - "If you have ever wondered if aliens are visiting the earth or if ESP or Astrology really work – then you will definitely want to check out The Foundations of Science MOOC."  The experience is completely online and it’s free and open to the general public.  The course will begin on May 13th and run through June 27th.

The course is focused not only on bolstering scientific knowledge, but to enhance critical thinking skills.
Development team includes award-winning faculty and an experienced instructional design team to create an exciting and rewarding learning experience.
Development is supported by a generous grant from the Gates Foundation, aimed at making quality educational opportunities accessible to anyone, and specifically under served populations.
Course content will be available through creative commons licensing, which means all participants will be able to download all the course materials, use and re-purpose to suit their needs.

Registering is easy - simply visit http://foundations-of-science.zoology.msu.edu/

Can you forward this on to anyone you think might be interested, including contacts within K-12 and informal education if appropriate? I'm happy to share additional information - this YouTube video is a great example of my colleague's instructional style: http://goo.gl/gyGJi.
Thanks and take care!

Julie

FoS MOOC

Find us on Facebook and Twitter (@MSUFoS)

YouTube video: http://goo.gl/gyGJi

Julie Libarkin
Associate Professor, Director - Geocognition Research Lab
Director for Educational Research - Center for Integrative Studies in General Science
Michigan State University
288 Farm Lane, 206 Natural Science
East Lansing, MI 48824

Phone: 517-355-8369
https://www.msu.edu/~libarkin

Affiliations: Center for Integrative Studies in General Science, Department of Geological Sciences, Cognitive Science Program, Environmental Science and Policy Program