What’s Going On?

The meat industry has worked tirelessly to drive independent producers out of business.  Agribusiness giants like Monsanto want to overstep judicial processes and plant genetically engineered crops even if a court has ruled that the crops were approved illegally.

And guess what?  Some members of the Senate are on their side.

The Senate’s bill to fund government programs through the rest of 2013 (known as a Continuing Resolution) includes two provisions that support large meat industries and biotech giants, while disregarding the needs of family farmers, independent growers, and sustainable agriculture.

Luckily, we can do something to stop this.

Senator Jon Tester of Montana plans to introduce two amendments today – one for each of the awful provisions – that removes them from the Continuing Resolution.

Your Senator needs to hear from you (and your friends and colleagues!) TODAY, that he/she must vote for both Tester amendments in the Continuing Resolution, and put the livelihoods of independent producers and the health of our communities first – NOT the profits of large corporations.

Call TODAY!

ASK OUR SENATORS TO SUPPORT SENTAOR TESTER’S AMENDMENTS

Making a call takes only a few moments!
Senator Stabenow - (202) 224-4822
Senator Levin  - (202) 224-6221

The message is simple:

"I am a constituent and I’m calling about the Continuing Resolution. Please thank the Senator for all her/his work for Michigan agriculture and tell her/him to please vote for two amendments to the Continuing Resolution introduced by Senator Jon Tester of Montana.

These amendments protect family farmers from abuses by the meat industry and support review of biotechnology products.   These two amendments will stand up for family farmers, ensure that independent producers have a fair chance in the livestock market, and ensure that courts can review biotechnology products.

Please call & let us know how it goes!

Click here to download a  version of this alert!

Thanks for all you do to support Sustainable Agriculture in Michigan!

PDF
P.S. You can also use this form from National Young Farmer Coaltition to write directly to our Senators:

Best wishes,

Lindsey Scalera
Michigan Voices for Good Food Policy
Grassroots Organizer
734-646-2428
http://migoodfoodpolicy.wordpress.com
Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on Facebook!

Sign Up for Action Alerts
National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
http://www.sustianableagriculture.net

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html