WIR12

Dear Members of the World Investment Network,

It is my pleasure to share with you UNCTAD's ninth Investment Policy
Monitor.

The period in review (November 2012–February 2013) was marked by a notable
increase in new investment restrictions and regulations, with the Monitor
registering that the share of such measures reached a new height (i.e. 36
per cent). Nonetheless, investment liberalization and promotion remained
the dominant trend in national investment policies. The reporting period
also saw fifteen changes in corporate tax rules, with nine reducing and
six increasing the tax rate.

At the international level, the move towards regional investment
agreements gained further momentum, while the conclusion of new bilateral
investment treaties continued to slacken, and stakeholders increasingly
voice their views.

UNCTAD’s Investment Policy Monitor is a regular publication that provides
the international investment community with country-specific, up-to-date
information about the latest developments in foreign investment policies,
both at the national and international level.

I hope that you find our Investment Policy Monitor useful and interesting
- please feel free to also share it with your colleagues!

Best regards,

James X. Zhan
Director
Investment & Enterprise Division
United Nations Conference on Trade & Development
Palais des Nations, Geneva
Tel: +41 22 9175797
www.unctad.org/diae