Hi,

The CORE-CM seminar this week is:
*
****February 28: Richard Lunt*
//**/Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Michigan State
University /
"Unique prospects and limits for excitonic photovoltaics "
The abstract is below
*
*BPS 1400 at 12:00pm,
Pizza and cookies available at 11:45am

Phil  Duxbury
Full seminar list is at:
http://www.pa.msu.edu/cmp/CORE-CM/SeminarSpring2013.html
*

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanostructured and organic semiconductors offer new opportunities for
low-cost photovoltaics (PV) and provide prospects for unique solar
harvesting applications. In the first part of this talk, I will outline
the upper limit of achievable efficiencies with these new technologies
to give a clear perspective on the potential market viability for
large-scale energy generation and outline the challenges necessary to
overcome this threshold. The potential of "Third Generation" concepts
accessible to nanostructured PVs (e.g. multi-exciton generation) will be
discussed for their potential in reducing thermal losses that can
subsequently impact cost structures. In the second part of the talk, I
will introduce our pioneering work on developing of a light-weight
transparent PV technology that creates a new paradigm for building
integrated photovoltaics and that is specifically enabled by the
manipulation of near-infrared excitonic semiconductors. I will outline
the thermodynamic and practical limits to this class of devices and show
our experimental demonstrations aimed at approaching these limits. I
will also discuss the complex optimization landscape for enhancing
efficiency, transparency, color-rendering, and angular dependence as a
function of cell arrangement. These solar cells offer a route to
retrofittable integration onto window panes in homes, skyscrapers, and
autonomous electronics to enhance the functionality of already utilized
transparent surfaces.