On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:28:47 -0500, STeve Andre' <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 02/05/13 13:24, David Graff wrote:
>> Is anyone else in a situation where they need extended support on a
>> now-defunct version of the Java Runtime? We run an application that will
>> only work with JRE 6, which is hitting support EOL at the end of the month.
>> The application launches through the browser plugin, and at the rate that
>> Java vulnerabilities are coming out that could prove to be a huge liability.
>>
>Given the wonderful track record of Java as of late, I would spend
>money to fix this if at all possible.  NO ONE I know who uses Java
>is resisting the move to 1.7 -- staying current with Java has proved
>as important as keeping Flash current.
>
>If this is some proprietary thing, I'd lean heavily on the place that
>makes it to allow for an upgrade.
>
>--STeve Andre'
Unfortunately, 1.7 isn't an option. It's a canned product that is then
customized in-house, and we are a couple releases behind. The latest version
dumps the JRE for a standard Oracle Forms interface, but all the existing
content has to be re-written before that upgrade can occur and I'm expecting
that to take a few years.

Believe me, I would love to rip out every single JRE install and never touch
that terrible software again but it just isn't an option.