While they have a single key for everyone, I think there's still a
limitation on the number of activations on it before it goes bad (at
least until they then get it refreshed).  I know this popped up at one
point with the Win 7 keys.

Of course, I know I'm using far fewer activations of office 2010 than
we've purchased, because I still have a lot of people that don't want
anything beyond 2007.