Note there is a comment period on the Food Safety Modernization Act (last item below). Please read it if you like to comment and send comments by email.

From: "<Ferd Hoefner>", National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 4:43 PM
To: Vicki Morrone <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: NSAC Weekly Roundup

[http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5735/images/NSAC_logo_final_383.jpg]<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=no1J%2FAXlpup5Xxh%2B5qir5s0Bz8uHnZ8I>

                                                                                            About<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cBJK2JugSj7Fw5XJtc3%2FVc0Bz8uHnZ8I>  <http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uA7RJIiBNB%2FBG6w3rhQIAM0Bz8uHnZ8I> Donate<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qCNVKDzJSY3saz3ZaKRohM0Bz8uHnZ8I>  Take Action<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KObWtLIjBfc7WScbUhBQsM0Bz8uHnZ8I>

Welcome to the NSAC Weekly Roundup!

To access the full articles simply click on the title and you'll be taken to the specific post page.

In this Week's Roundup...

FARM BILL NEWS

For Immediate Release: January 1 Farm Bill Extension Deal is a Disaster for Farmers<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n5BJmga1RIDh%2FFh0J8%2Bloc0Bz8uHnZ8I>
The farm bill extension deal reached in negotiations between Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Vice President Joe Biden is a disaster for farmers and the American people.  The nine month extension measure was attached to the bigger fiscal cliff bill and passed by the Senate early this morning and is coming up for a vote in the House later today.  Read more...<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VrVnvNKwdnVjmMia13%2Fe6s0Bz8uHnZ8I>

Congress Includes Awful 2008 Farm Bill Extension in Fiscal Cliff Deal<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CRDodBlnDdkidS%2B9few3Ss0Bz8uHnZ8I>
On New Year’s Eve, the Senate passed a simple extension of the 2008 Farm Bill through September 30, 2013, as part of a much bigger legislative package to avoid the so-called fiscal cliff.  The House approved the Senate bill late on New Year’s Day and President Obama signed it into law on January 2.  Read more...<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=o0IdlVbu3RxjDKgpIngzj80Bz8uHnZ8I>

FOOD SAFETY NEWS

For Immediate Release: NSAC Statement on FDA Release of Food Safety Rules<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=eStXUxEf5%2Bc%2FRbH7TIKoDM0Bz8uHnZ8I>
Today, the Food and Drug Administration released much-anticipated proposed rules detailing standards for produce safety and preventive controls for human food production.  Releasing these rules is a major step in the implementation of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), which President Obama signed into law two years ago.  The law is the first significant overhaul to our nation’s food safety laws since the 1930s.  Read more...<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=87bOzze0%2F%2B%2FZn7xbHvkghs0Bz8uHnZ8I>

FDA Releases Food Safety Regulations<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yATRmc2q5ai3nfqepWmrD80Bz8uHnZ8I>
Today, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released two major proposed rules detailing standards for produce safety and preventive controls for human food production.  FDA is also requesting comments on its draft risk analysis on activities conducted in a facility co-located on a farm.  Read more...<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3fsyo0g1%2FlNvl9i0%2BatZ6c0Bz8uHnZ8I>

But also if you want to read specifics about FDA release food safety regulations  visit this link; http://sustainableagriculture.net/blog/fda-releases-food-safety-regulations/

Member Spotlight

[http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/5735/images/CAFF.jpg]<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=g8tdWbRTb9mS7fbE9JoJ7c0Bz8uHnZ8I>

Community Alliance with Family Farmers

CAFF advocates for family farmers and sustainable agriculture.  Today’s Community Alliance with Family Farmers is the result of efforts by both farmers and urban activists working together for over 30 years. We strive to build a movement of rural and urban people to foster family-scale agriculture that cares for the land, sustains local economies and promotes social justice.

Visit them here<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qz13xwiMln6w64Ch40CAw80Bz8uHnZ8I>.

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html