Here’s an odd one.  I haven’t started digging deep into the server logs yet, but I thought I’d pull off of you all’s XP first to maybe get some direction.

This has happened twice in 3 months.  It happened after the October MS update cycle, and then again in December.

What’s happening:  After a server automatically installs updates, and then reboots, it comes back in Recovery Mode.  We cancel out of recovery mode and reboot the server and then updates complete, and it’s back to business as normal.

This month it is the same set of machines as in October.  All of the problem machines are VMs in a VMWare cluster.  All of the problem machines are Server 2008 R2  Datacenter x64.  A few of them do not have SP1 but most do.  (Servers that are not R2 do not seem to have this issue.)  All of the problem machines are set to automatically install updates and automatically reboot if an update requires it.

Everything I’ve found online points to people being stuck in the Recovery Mode loop.  We are not.  We cancel the recovery mode and reboot the server and updates complete successfully and everything works as expected.

Has anyone else seen this issue, or have an answer off the top of their head?

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

-dak

Dak Aldrich

Michigan State University