From: Kingery, Ken [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:17 PM
To: Kim Crosslan
Subject: Jocelyn Bell Burnell at NSCL

Hi Kim,

We’re very excited to be hosting Jocelyn Bell Burnell as our Women and Minorities in Science Lecture Series speaker for this semester. Jocelyn discovered the first radio pulsars as a postgraduate student at Cambridge with her thesis supervisor Antony Hewish, for which Hewish shared the Nobel Prize in Physics. She also is a Fellow of the Royal Society of London, has been President of the UK’s Royal Astronomical Society, and was the first female President of the UK/Ireland Institute of Physics. Naturally, you can see why we’re excited to have her.

She is giving her talk one week from today. Titled, “A Celebration of Women in Astronomy,” the talk will be in the NSCL Lecture Hall at 4:00 PM on Wednesday, November 14. I have attached a poster that we will be distributing throughout campus in the coming week. Hopefully you can spread it through any avenues available to you as well. Hanging some posters and emailing the information to faculty, students and staff would be very helpful, if possible. Thanks!

Cheers,

Ken Kingery

NSCL Communications Manager

(w) 517-908-7482