From: Gary Schrock [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] oddity with msu web email on a computer

Ok, I've got a faculty member here that's been having some issues on msu's web mail, although I suspect it's not really specific to that.
Pretty new computer, and the settings in IE are as far as I can tell the default.

Basically, she's getting bumped back to the login screen on mail.msu.edu pretty frequently (as in, far too frequently to be an inactivity timeout).  It's not completely consistent on how it happens, but often bringing up either the address book, or messing with an attachment to a new email will cause it to happen.  I was able to get it to fail pretty consistently (but still not every time) if I did a new message, put in a to address, go to the attachment section, browse for a file and select it, then hit the update button on the right.  I'd say about 7 or 8 times out of 10 that would bounce me back to the login screen (and it'll do it in my account too, not just hers).

Once we even got a message saying that the system didn't trust that we were who we said we were.

To me, obviously it seems like IE is losing some sort of session variable, but like I said, it looks like IE is running with default settings.  And it's kinda of weird to me that it only seems to fail about 7 or 8 times out of 10 when doing exactly the same thing.
Haven't had a chance to try it with another browser since it's the only one she had installed, so I'll give that a try when I next get a chance.

Just kind of odd to me.

Gary