From: Figueiredo, Denyson (denyson) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 1:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Drobo Storage Arrays

Jon, You should look at  Synology NAS. The Drobo is very reliable but its
slow and its also slow to wake up from power save mode. The Synology NAS can
do everything that the Drobo does with better performance . I'm very happy
with mine. The Drobo is primary a direct attach storage (Drobo also has a
NAS add-on) and Synology its a NAS. Take a look at those here:

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1512%2B
<http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1512+&lang=us>
&lang=us

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1812%2B
<http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1812+&lang=us>
&lang=us

Denyson

On Nov 30, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Jon Galbreath <[log in to unmask]>

 wrote:

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience with Drobo storage arrays?  I'm looking at
the 4-bay unit for home use, specifically for media serving purposes.  From
the various sites I've looked at, the reviews seem very mixed and people
seem to either love or hate them.  Some have mentioned the chassis rejecting
drives over and over, even when they're good drives that work in other
machines.  Also many of the negative reviews mention very poor speeds for
both reading AND writing.  Since I'm using this to serve media like .m4v
files to an Apple TV, speed is sort of important because it will be reading
directly from the array.

Any advice is appreciated J

Jon

Jon Galbreath, MCSE