From: Cooke, Tony [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 3:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] AD Domain Password Policy

Maybe I'm reading too far into it, but it sounds like you simply oppose
password expiration. That's not surprising, since it is a contentious topic.
We decided to implement password expiration since doing so mitigates exposed
passwords such that attacker access isn't perpetual. We also chose a
reasonably long duration as to not encourage bad password habits.

Is it fool proof? Of course not. As you pointed out, rotating or
incrementing passwords are ways users can defeat the usefulness of the
policy. At the same time, they could also willfully expose their password,
and there's not much we can do about it. In my opinion, the best we can do
is to encourage good password hygiene while trying not to encourage bad
password hygiene (as these are often at odds with each other).

-Tony