I've been using a Dell 3130cn color laser at home for a number of years now myself, and before that a 3100cn.  We've also had a number of 3130's in the department here, and I'd say in general, I've been pretty happy with them myself.  Of course, Dell's dropped that model now, I think from their listings the C3760n/dn is the replacement.  And compared to some of the HP color lasers I've dealt with lately, I've been happier with the Dell's.

Now, that said, I find any color laser the toner cost is something of an issue.  Heck, the real reason I replaced the 3100 at home was that I'd used up all the colors, and it was cheaper to buy the 3130 than it was to buy a full set of color toner for the printer.  And now with the 3130, I'm getting close to the same point.  (Most of my home printing is b&w, so I don't go through the color toner that fast, so I've been replacing the black toner, it's when I get to needing to replace color that I start getting annoyed.)

I've been less enamored with the cheaper mono printers from Dell though.  We've bought the 1720, 2330, and 2350 models over the years, and I find they're generally good for 1 to 2 years before they start having problems.  Of course, I find that a similarly priced (around $200) printer from HP seems to have a similar life expectancy.  Maybe I'm asking too much these days for a $200 printer to last more than 1 to 2 years?  If I could find a model that was just a little more, that I could get more life out of it, I'd love it.  I've been getting some grumbling from faculty about that.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Steve Bogdanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We've been moving from HP to Dell printers (both color and b/w laser) for the last couple of years.  The Dell models (which are just rebranded Lexmarks) have been of good quality in our experience and the warranties on them (similar to computers, with NBD parts) are way better than having to get support on HP models.

-Steve Bogdanski

>>> On 10/25/2012 at 11:05 AM, Bill Park <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I’m wondering what folks are buying for personal color laser printers these days?  I’m looking for something reliable with easy to find toner (and cheap if possible).  I’ve had some bad experiences with Brother lately…  Has anybody tried any of the Dell printers?  How do they stack up to something from HP?

Bill