Postdoctoral Research Associate in International Business

(2 years, full-time)

University of Kent -Kent Business School, Canterbury, United Kingdom

The Role

The Strategy and International Business Group: http://www.kent.ac.uk/kbs/research/research-groups/strategy-intl_business/index.html is one of the five research groups within Kent Business School, with a focus on international strategy, alliances, performance management, social enterprise and non-market strategies. This post holder will support on-going research into the internationalisation of non-traditional organisations, in particular in the retail sector. The aim is to analyse various questions surrounding the internationalisation motives, patterns and processes of such organisations and their relevance for organisational performance. The research will primarily focus on the quantitative analysis of a large dataset although a small number of in-depth case studies are envisaged in particular of organisations based in the UK, Germany and Spain. Very good German and/or Spanish language skills would thus be beneficial for this post.

The Person

You will hold a good first degree or equivalent, a Masters in Business/Management or similar and a PhD in a relevant discipline (e.g. International Business; Strategic Management; Organisation Studies; Retail Marketing).

The post holder will need to have experience with statistical analysis packages and knowledge of international business theory. Data analysis skills and strong skills in Excel are also essential to this position.

The Department

Kent Business School was established in 1989, building on two decades of postgraduate management education and research at the University. Our MBA programme was established in 1991 and, in September 1992, we moved to new, purpose-built premises. In 1995 the University’s programmes and staff in Accounting & Finance and in Industrial Relations & Human Resource Management were transferred to the School, followed in 1997 by programmes and staff in Management Science. The School has 1676 students on two campuses, 293 postgraduates (including 56 research students) and 1383 undergraduates, distributed across all our programmes. A strategic decision to invest in it has seen the Business School grow in size and calibre since 2003. The appointment of new and highly motivated staff has transformed the research culture within the School, attracting interest nationally and internationally. Through the dedication and commitment of all our staff, we are steadily building on the successes of our foundational years to create a forward–looking Business School with global reach, creating stimulating research and learning environments. Further information can be found at:www.kent.ac.uk/kbs

Further Information

Start Date for applications: 19 October 2012

Closing date for applications: 12 December 2012

Interviews are expected to be held: January 2013

For informal discussion only, please contact: Professor Alexander Mohr, Head of Group, [log in to unmask]

Please do not send formal applications to Professor Mohr. Those sent will be asked to apply via our online recruitment process (please refer to the applications section).
Please see the links below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post (please do not send your application directly to the department).

http://www11.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_kent01.asp?newms=jj&id=37080&aid=14243

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AFJ115/postdoctoral-research-associate-in-international-business/

I will be at the EIBA 2012 conference in Brighton (Dec 8th and Dec 9th) if you would like to have a chat about this position in person.

Alex

Alex Mohr

Professor in Strategy and International Business

Kent Business School
University of Kent
Canterbury
Kent CT2 7PE