Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross-postings. This is a friendly reminder for our workshop at the Rotterdam School of Management.

In the lead up to this year’s annual meeting of the Strategic Management Society, the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM) organizes a one day consortium on “Strategy and Institutions.”  This will be held at the RSM campus in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on the 5th of October.  We very much welcome participants as well as paper presenters!

This year's conference theme “Strategy in Transition” places institutions central to the theories and practices of strategic management.  The Rotterdam School of Management offers an extension to this theme by focusing on how institutions influence strategy formation and implementation processes in domestic and international contexts.  Regulatory, normative and cognitive institutions may constrain strategic decision-makers because of rationalized myths, isomorphism, and legitimacy or legal demands.  They may also be helpful in facilitating the formation and implementation of certain strategies, improving the functioning of markets, and shaping business practices. Strategies may or may not be aligned with institutions, and this may be strategically savvy, sinful or silly.  With this extension we aim to reflect, debate and learn about how strategies and institutions relate to each other.

Critical contributors to field such as Harry Barkema, Keith Brouthers, Andrew Delios, Igor Filatotchev, Tatiana Kostova, Alan Muller and Arjen van Witteloostuijn will be on panels to discuss how institutions influence, and are influenced by, strategies.

More information can be found on the SMS website - http://prague.strategicmanagement.net/rotterdam_extension.php

Registration – Until Sept 25, the fee  is $105, (or $85 if you are an SMS member).

You can register on the SMS website - http://prague.strategicmanagement.net/registration/extensions.php

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them.

Pursey Heugen – [log in to unmask]

Justin Jansen – [log in to unmask]

Arjen Slangen – [log in to unmask]

Taco Reus – [log in to unmask]