Dear Dr. Kiyak,
Please distribute/email the call for papers presented below and the attached file to the AIB community. Please let me know if it meets your approval or if you should have any questions.
LAST CALL FOR CONFERENCE PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION
Mount Royal University, Regis University and the Journal of Global Commerce Research invite you to participate at the International Conference on Global Commerce and Sustainability
Date: October 5 - 6, 2012
Venue: Bissett School of Business, Mount Royal University, Calgary, Canada
The present global issues today are affected in no small measure by sustainable development and energy needs to fuel such development. The conference focuses on two major themes: (1) education for sustainable development and (2) sustainable energy exploration, exploitation and reclamation projects.
The UNESCO Implementation Scheme (2006) identifies the following with regards to education and sustainable development:
"In pursuing education for sustainable development…there must be some clarity in what sustainable development means and what it is aiming at.
* Society: an understanding of social institutions and their role in change and development, as well as the democratic and participatory systems which give opportunity for the expression of opinion, the selection of governments, the forging of consensus and the resolution of differences.
* Environment: awareness of the resources and fragility of the physical environment and the effects on it of human activity and decisions, with a commitment to factoring environmental concerns into social and economic policy development.
* Economy: a sensitivity to the limits and potential of economic growth and their impact on society and on the environment, with a commitment to assess personal and societal levels of consumption out of concern for the environment and for social justice.
Education for sustainable development is fundamentally about values, with respect at the centre: respect for others, including those of present and future generations, for difference and diversity, for the environment, and for the resources of the planet we inhabit.
Education enables us to understand ourselves and others and our links with the wider natural and social environment, and this understanding serves as a durable basis for building respect. Along with a sense of justice, responsibility, exploration and dialogue, education for sustainable development aims to move us to adopting behaviours and practices which enable all to live a full life without being deprived of basics.
Education for sustainable development mirrors the concern for education of high quality, demonstrating characteristics such as:
* Interdisciplinary and holistic: learning for sustainable development embedded in the whole curriculum, not as a separate subject;
* Values-driven: sharing the values and principles underpinning sustainable development;
* Critical thinking and problem solving: leading to confidence in addressing the dilemmas and challenges of sustainable development;
* Multi-method: word, art, drama, debate, experience, different pedagogies which model the processes;
* Participatory decision-making: learners participate in decisions on how they are to learn;
* Locally relevant: addressing local as well as global issues, and using the language(s) which learners most commonly use (UNESCO, 2006)."
The second theme - energy related – derives from the fact that the host country and province for the conference are Canada and Alberta, both global leaders in mining and energy exploration and also hosts of one of the largest reclamation projects in the world.
The conference invites international scholars and practitioners to submit abstracts, posters, and proposals pertaining to sustainability in education, commerce, global business, resource exploitation and recovery, renewable energy and sustainable management practices. While these are main subjects and tracks for the conference we also encourage submission of papers with the following as topics:
• Education and Curriculum Development
• Sustainable Management Practices
• Sustainability in Education
• Sustainable Energy Exploration and Reclamation Projects
• Business Systems and Processes
• Transportation, Logistics and Security
• International Business Management
• Business Leadership
• Organizational Behavior and Learning
• Business Strategy and Technology/Innovation
• Market Trends
• Concept Development and Commercialization
• Financing Concepts and Expansions (feed and tariffs, jobs, etc)
• Intellectual Property Rights
• Updates in Global Commerce and Supply Chain Management
• Corporate Social Responsibility and Ethical Management
• Public Policy Analysis
• Advertizing and promotion management,
• Business Information Systems,
• Business Law,
• Business and Cross-Cultural Managerial Communication,
• Labor Relations and Human Resource Management,
• Marketing Theory, Research and Applications,
• Operations/Production Management/ Research/Statistics
• Business Entrepreneurship,
• Strategic Management Policy,
• Corporate and International finance,
• Emerging Markets and Economic Development,
• Financial Institutions, Services and Markets,
• International Economics and Trade,
• Macroeconomics and Microeconomics,
• Portfolio and Security Analysis,
• Public Policy and Regional Economics
• International Tax Accounting
Accepted papers will be considered for the Best Paper Award and publication in the Journal of Global Commerce Research (www.journalofglobalcommerceresearch.com) or the Journal of Current Research in Global Business.
Send your submissions (Word 2003 or higher) and suggestions for panel discussions by September 1, 2012 to: Dr. Luka Powanga at [log in to unmask] or to Dr. Frank Cotae at [log in to unmask]
Please see the Journal and Conference submission guidelines at: www.Journalofglobalcommerceresearch.com
We are pleased to announce that we have negotiated a substantial discount for hotel accommodations for conference participants. The hotel chosen will be Hyatt Regency Calgary. Guests can begin making reservations by either clicking on the following link:https://resweb.passkey.com/go/bissettschoolofbusinessmeeting , or by calling the hotel at 403 537-4438. Please be sure to mention that you are attending Global Commerce Forum at Bissett School of Business, Mount Royal University.
Each morning participants will be picked up from the hotel and brought back with school chartered buses at no expense as this will be a complimentary service provided by Bissett School of Business.
Early bird - $ 200 (if registered by September 25th)
Regular - $295
Students - $50
Mount Royal University Faculty - $100
Dr. Florinel-Frank Cotae