Reviving this thread yet again, and dashing the hopes of those who
said that Windows 8 would include a simple mechanism to disable or
bypass the Windows 8 Style UI (formerly known as "Metro") -- see the
following reports on Slashdot:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/09/1417210/cowboyneal-weighs-in-on-the-windows-8-metro-gui

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/11/0051250/you-cant-bypass-the-ui-formerly-known-as-metro-on-windows-8

-- dkm