From: Fishbeck, John [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2012 1:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Reoccuring Drive Errors on Poweredge 2950 with Perc 5/i

Ya got an interesting one there, Al:

Sense key 5: “Illegal Request : Indicates an illegal parameter in the command descriptor block or in the additional parameters supplied as data for some commands (Format Unit, Mode Select, and so forth). If the disc drive detects an invalid parameter in the Command Descriptor Block, it shall terminate the command without altering the medium. If the disc drive detects an invalid parameter in the additional parameters supplied as data, the disc drive may have already altered the medium. This sense key may also indicate that an invalid IDENTIFY message was received. This could also indicate an attempt to write past the last logical block.”

Sense code 24 (0x18) : “invalid field in CDB (command descriptor block)”

Sense qualifier code 0 : “Recovered data with error correction applied”

Almost sounds like a device driver or bus issue as opposed to an actual disk issue. Note that the error is being reported for multiple devices, which may support my conjecture of a bus issue. Maybe check connectors, cables, RAID card in slot, etc.?

Regards,

John Fishbeck

Physical Plant Computer Systems & Networking Group