From: Heather Macdonald [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 9:45 PM

Hi everyone,

Here's a session that might not have caught your eye, but one that I think would benefit from the teacher prep perspective.  That's one of the geoscience careers we are preparing undergraduates for, and it would be interesting to get your perspectives in the context of what it is that we want students to know and be able to do, what kinds of attitudes/professional traits we want, and how we go about doing that.  And how we recruit students into such careers.

So I hope you will be interested in this way of framing such work and that our session will have some presentations that that perspective.

Heather

We encourage contributions to AGU session #ED028 -  Preparing Undergraduate Students for Geoscience Careers and Degrees

Many future geoscientists determine their career path early in their undergraduate education, either in large introductory geoscience classes or at a two-year college. This session explores resources and strategies for recruiting and preparing these students for geoscience careers, either as geotechnical graduates (e.g., earth resources, environmental management, marine technology) or as geoscience majors at four-year colleges and universities. We are also interested in how programs provide career advice and mentoring to students at either two-year colleges or four-year college and universities. And, submissions that discuss strategies that facilitate the transfer process, such as articulation agreements, annual meetings of 2YC and 4YC faculty in a particular region, and other efforts, are also welcome.  We particularly welcome contributions from programs that have developed evaluation methods for their recruiting and preparation efforts.

We are interested in learning more about what you are doing to prepare undergraduate students for geoscience careers – either individually (in your classes, your advising and mentoring, in co-curricular or extracurricular activities) or collectively (as a department or program, through deliberate recruiting strategies, departmental curriculum designed to prepare students for the workforce directly or for moving to the next academic stage and another degree), career advising, alumni panels, internship programs, and the like).

We hope that you will consider submitting an abstract to this session.

Deadline: The deadline for abstract submissions is 8 August 2012 at 23:59ET/3:59+1 GMT.

http://agu-fm12.abstractcentral.com/

Eric Baer, Jan Hodder, and Heather Macdonald
Session conveners

Heather Macdonald

Department of Geology

College of William & Mary