From: John Gorentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:42 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [MSUNAG] Aspect ratio for LCD projectors and screens

Are any of you finding that people want to make powerpoint presentations with a 16:10 aspect ratio instead of 4:3?

I've asked our faculty if they've seen that being used anywhere that they give talks, and they say no.   Everything is still 4:3.

But we have a vendor who is preparing specs to use to use for a bid for videoconferencing-on-the-cheap for a couple of lecture rooms, and their people are trying to tell me everything is going 16:10.   In one of our rooms it may be OK to have a screen with that aspect ratio -- it just means the 4:3 images that our people project will be smaller and higher, and that people in the back rows won't have to look through the heads of people in front of them.  In that room a smaller image might be OK compared to what we're doing now.   And maybe we can live with the image not filling the screen in that case.   (I like the image to fill the screens, black-border to black-border.)

But we have an auditorium with two screens and two 4:3 projectors in which I'm reluctant to make a change like that unless the world of academic presentations for both teaching and research is really going 16:10.   (But our Polycom codecs still do H.323 document sharing in 1024:768 resolution.)

Any comments or observations on this topic?

John Gorentz
Computer Services Manager
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station