From: Richard Wiggins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:29 AM
To: Kwiatkowski, Nicholas
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 211 service fail

Nick,

Hi.  I'm a retired MSU employee now living in the Holt area.  Local news media advises that people who need cooling centers should call 211.  On my AT&T phone, 211 does not work.  611 yields a useless phone tree.

AT&T, it seems, has a phone tower problem in the Holt area, and, from this report, it seems, perhaps the same or another issue  on north MSU campus.  I am astonished to learn that a public service failure for 211 is tower by tower, but it seems this is the case.

The 211 issue is important because we will hit degrees in the 90s according to predictions this week, and cooling centers will be opened, and local news and weather sources will advise people to call 211 to find cooling centers.  If 211 does not work, this is bad.

If you have contacts with AT&T please advise them that it is a problem for media to advise people to call 211 when it does not work.

Thanks,

/rich