*Please share this with your community - the Farm Bill Extension will
likely go to the floor on Wednesday, August 1*

Hello everyone,

Across the nation, farmers’ livelihoods are withering in an intense,
record-breaking drought.  Congress could be doing something about this
right now – they could be passing the 2012 Farm Bill, which funds critical
disaster assistance programs that are our farmers and ranchers’ safety net
in times like these.  But are they working to pass the 2012 Farm Bill?  *No*
.

Instead, late last week, in a surprise move, the House of Representatives
moved to extend parts of the 2008 Farm Bill through next year, including
drought assistance but excluding programs like the Beginning Farmer and
Rancher Development Program.

*This isn’t a good-faith effort to help farmers.  It’s a dirty, cynical
trick.  It uses the real need for disaster assistance as an excuse to
attack all sorts of important programs and kick the farm bill can down the
road until next year.*

*This extension would:*

   - *- Make deep, unnecessary cuts to conservation programs – the very
   farm programs that reduce drought impacts.*
   - *- Strip all funding from dozens of programs that support beginning
   farmers, rural communities, and food entrepreneurs. Programs like
the Farmers
   Market and Local Food Promotion Program, which has Michigan farmers and
   food businesses help build their market and contribute to our economic
   revival!*
   - *- Continue outdated and wasteful “direct payments” – despite
   bipartisan agreement in the House and Senate that our farm subsidy system
   needs major reform.*
   - *- Read more details on how bad this bill is on the NSAC
blog.<http://sustainableagriculture.net/blog/extension-dooms-programs/>
   *

The House is set to vote on this sham extension this week.   There’s no
reason for this – there’s a draft 2012 Farm Bill ready and waiting in the
wings.  The House is instead choosing to play politics at the expense of
farmers and ranchers.

*Help us tell the House: we don’t need an extension - we need a better farm
bill!*
 http://bit.ly/no-fb-extension
Call and write your Representative today!

Share this and Speak out today! Thanks for all you do building a better
food system in Michigan!

With respect,
Lindsey Scalera
*Michigan Voices for Good Food Policy*
Grassroots Organizer
734-646-2428
http://migoodfoodpolicy.wordpress.com/
@michiganvoices <http://twitter.com/michiganvoices> #migoodfood

*Sign-on to NSAC's Farm Bill Platform*
http://bit.ly/2012FarmBillSignOn

National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
www.sustainableagriculture.net

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html