Hello all,

I wanted to let the group know about some session opportunities at GSA
and AGU regarding climate and research/evaluation and formal and
informal education.  Please see the three session descriptions below,
which I will be co-convening.

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION (Abstract Deadline August 8th)
ED008: Climate Literacy: Evidence and Best Practices from Research and
Evaluation
Sponsor:Education (ED)

"We now have many years of evaluation data from climate change
education and outreach programs funded by federal agencies and
foundations. Evaluation efforts within this community of projects
provide a rich opportunity to share evaluation approaches, and
results, for programs that are similar in content and message, but
different in learning environments and audiences. In this session, we
welcome papers that address the findings of evaluation/research in
climate change education, particularly in reference to best practices,
challenges, and insights into impact. We also welcome papers that
explore the practice and theory of evaluation in the context of
climate literacy, where new ground in evaluation is being broken."

ED006: Climate Literacy: Education for Decision Makers, Religious
Communities, and Professional Audiences
Sponsor:Education (ED)

"Educating adult audiences about climate change is critical given the
need for urgent societal and infrastructural changes, but comes with
unique challenges. Education strategies for
decision-makers/professionals and businessmen, religious communities,
agriculture/fishing communities, and other diverse adult stakeholder
audiences must be tailored to address their particular concerns and
needs. We invite papers that share insights about the climate change
knowledge, perceptions and attitudes for these audiences. Papers on
best practices for reaching particular adult audiences and/or research
results from such activities are of particular interest."

GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA (Abstract Deadline August 12th)
 T71. Climate Literacy: Research and Evaluation Outcomes from Informal
and Formal Climate Education Efforts

Rationale: Over the last several years funding agencies, foundations
and other organizations have supported efforts to improve climate
literacy. In order to be considered “climate literate”, a learner
would possess knowledge of essential principles and concepts about the
climate system and about humanity’s place within that system. Climate
education may include goals to address cognition, attitudes towards
science or the environment, identity as a scientist or citizen and
dispositions towards climate-relevant behaviors. Fundamental
theoretical frameworks and lines of inquiry from science and
environmental education, sociology and other disciplines all shed
light on how we can best support learners and learning. Evaluation
efforts provide us with knowledge of best practices within climate
literacy projects. This session invites papers which provide
evidence-based knowledge and guidance for the climate education
community from a variety of formal and informal educational contexts.

Thanks!

Karen

--
Karen S. McNeal, Ph.D.