From: John Valenti [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Web Attack on HP Laserjet Printers?

Shaun,

The solution I've used for several years, and I think is still workable, is to use a building specific IP address.

I'm in S Kedzie, the central network people configured this building to use 35.15.64.x addresses only within the building. So all of our printers are on that subnet, and thus, only accessible from computers located within the building. I don't think there is much value to having a printer accessible from the 1 billion devices on the global Internet, but if you need outside access use a VPN or something.

This greatly reduces the scope of possible problems, to maybe 200 computers on the wired network here.

Perhaps the central people can chime in and say if this is still the plan going forward, but seems to work well here.

-John

HRLR