Teach people to pick phrases from their favorite songs or poems, and
you get great passwords:

     now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country

makes

      nittfagmtcttaotc

take an i make a 1, etc, and you've further obfuscated things.  Longer
is better and I've seen lots of people take stanzas from things and
create truly monstrous pw's.

I teach people to make their own passwords that way.  Judging from
the clackclackclack... noises when logging into things, it's been working.

Use a system that generates passwords for you, and they wind up on
postit notes.  Last week I saw just that for an account which controls
a lot of money.  A LOT.  I've seen this so many times when "good" pw's
are enforced on people.

Passwords certainly are a pain, but they can be managed.

--STeve Andre'